Monday, September 10, 2012

Step Out of The Boat

Yesterday I finally took a few chances and stepped out of the boat onto the water – literally. 

After moving to a new place, I have begun the process of making new friends, a process that I must add is much more difficult post-college where one is surrounded by many of the same age and interests.  I have met a few people out here and there, considered joining a “social sporting club,” and even gone out to some sports-watching groups sharing my Buckeye enthusiasm, all just trying to put myself out there in hopes that some connections would be made.  As a female, I sometimes find it, or at least tell myself it is so, harder to make friends at my age because a) most guys that approach aren’t looking for friends, and b) most girls don’t make an approach at all.  Now what?

This in mind, I took my first chance yesterday and accepted the offer from a potential new friend to join him and his friends out on a boat on the lake.  Truthfully, I was surprised he continued to offer after the nearly five times that he had  asked prior to which I always had a reason to not accept – usually because I work a schedule that also makes finding and growing friendships slightly challenging.  So, I met him at the dock and stepped into the boat.  I made a new four-legged friend as well, and we were off cruising through the lake, observing the residences and wondering just what all those people do that live in them.

A little further down it was time for the first wakeboarder to take his turn.  I watched as he made it look so easy to stand, squatted, turned, pulled, went from side to side, and effortlessly maneuvered the waves coming at him.  One by one all in the boat took a turn on the board, my new friend showing his skill with jumps and spins.  And then it came – “Do you want to go?”  I had been sitting there asking myself the same question while watching all of those in tow.  “YES!!!!!” I knew was the answer, but my internal conversation also included, “But I’ve never done it before, what if I can’t stand up, look at how good they are, I could embarrass myself.”  All of these fears inside of me filled my mind, but another voice said “You never will be able to do it if you never try.”

At that moment I told the group I wanted to give it a go.  My new friend’s friend then confirmed what that voice had just said to me only seconds before:  “We can always teach someone to get up - all they have to have is the willingness to try.”  Awed, it all came together in that moment for me.  As I slid to the back of the boat, I strapped my feet into the board and stepped out into the water.  I held onto the rope and listened to the coaching of my teacher.  “Let the boat do the work, you just hang on.” “Stay connected, and it will pull you up.”  “Don’t try to do it on your own strength or you will fall.” When I asked, “What do I do when I get up?”  he replied, “I’ll coach you when you get there.”

Ironically (or not), this experience all happened on the same day I heard the message at my new church about the “one thing” that is necessary – stay connected to the Source.  The Teacher only needs someone that is willing to step out of the boat and give it a try.  Just like all I had to do was hold onto the rope and let the boat pull me up, all I need to do in this life is stay attached to the One  and let Him lead me.  As I learned on the couple of attempts I made to pull on the rope to stand and found myself crashing down, when I try to do things in my own strength, they will not succeed.  But oh the joy of the one attempt when I let the boat raise me up out of the water to stand!  And just the taste of that small success has created in me the desire to continue to try and get better.  

Just as my wakeboard teacher had told me he would coach me on what to do after standing, the Lord will guide me along as well.  First, I must be willing to let Him.  As I stay connected, He will lead me to go this way and that.  And just as the wakeboarder learns new tricks over time, I also will learn how to encounter the waves and remain upright through them.  I can learn to trust enough to take risks, jump the waves, and turn a 360 and have faith instead of fear in my ability because of the practice I have had throughout the way, enjoying every moment of being in tow. 

To experience true joy in life, you have to first be willing to step out of the boat, then hang on and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment