Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicken Sandwiches

It is chicken salad sandwich season and the other day I found myself a victim of advertising.  After the announcement that this was available for a limited time only, I found myself with a craving that could only be satisfied with a trip to the Food Court on my lunch hour.

As I made my way through the line with a conversation consisting only of, “6 inch, honey oat, no cheese,” I took notice of the people around me.  There was a woman ahead of me with her child, “Chicken and bacon with light lettuce” and an older man behind me, “Grilled chicken and cheese.”  One by one we made our ways down the line without words, keeping a comfortable distance, yet remaining close enough as if to silently say, “I don’t have all day here, so keep on moving.”  I then heard a voice coming from inside me.  “Buy the man’s sandwich.”  And that’s when the order and the routine of the line stopped.

As I was handed my chips and diet soda and was told my total, I advised the cashier as I gestured to the man, “Put his on there, too.”  She looked at me as if I had made a foreign request.  The man?  He had to pause a moment to process what was said and then let out an adamant, “NO! You can’t do that!  You don’t have to do that!” to which I agreed, “Yes, I know.  But I would like to.”  By now, this disruption had caught the attention of the sandwich maker who stepped over to ask what was wrong.  And at that question, sadness filled my soul.

What was wrong?  A kind gesture today is so uncommon that when it does happen, it now takes someone aback.  The workers responses indicated this hasn’t happened before and they did not know what to do.  The man’s reactions of “why me?” and “you can’t do that!” showed that not only are acts of kindness rarely offered anymore, but also that we have become a culture that no longer knows how to accept the thoughtfulness of a stranger.  Is it a fear that there are strings attached?  Is it a feeling of unworthiness?  Is it pride that no one needs to do anything for us because we can provide for ourselves?  Whatever the reason, it is a sad realization of a life we are falling into instead of raising others out above.

But, we can change this routine.  It doesn’t take much effort to recognize someone else, and it doesn’t have to be a monetary gift.  Offer a compliment.  Greet a stranger with a nametag by name, ask how they are, and listen intently.  Voice your appreciation.  Show concern.  Hope.  Joy.  The world is hungry for a moment with Him that comes without strings to those who are unworthy – and we can reach them one chicken sandwich at a time.        

2 comments:

  1. ...and then, next time, she accepted the little help and got the shoes she wanted-- not mostly so because it would make her happy, but because someone wanted to do something nice for her for no reason other than that one-- and that made them happy... and the world, all of a sudden, was that much better than it was a few seconds before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome that you were so kind to that stranger. I can't believe something like that blew up in your face though, but like you said... our world has become to immune to kindness and it shows in that situation. You have definitely encouraged me to act in small ways such as this. I've never thought of the strangers in line before, I guess I'm too preoccupied with myself/wants. Another great blog!!! <3

    ReplyDelete